Unveiled: Meet the HD 620S
May 8, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #76 of 300
You need to read the french translation of the HD600s page.

That's what happen when you cut on human translators.
It's talking about kitchen in a very very non natural tone.

When you know the importance of copywriting...

May 8, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #77 of 300
I promise I’m not trying to just be another obstinate and unreasonable Head-Fier making your job harder, but considering this was measured on a GRAS rig with a flat ear and cheek sim, I’ve every reason to believe that the on-head behavior would be similar in the 200-400Hz region I’d mentioned (if not worse due to heads leaking more than rigs).

Of course, said feature being there and people noticing it are two different things; certainly some listeners may not notice it (even if it is there), but unfortunately I would likely notice it as this dip has been a deal breaker 90% of the time in my years-long search for a decent closed back.

The fact is: if you know how to read the measurements and know what to ignore in terms of how relevant a feature will be to your experience (< 200 Hz, > 3 kHz should be almost entirely ignored) you can know pretty well when something won’t work for you… and HD 620S probably won’t work for me.

Regardless, thanks for the answer Eric. I’ll of course be trying HD 620S at my earliest availability. Hopefully I see you at a CanJam one of these days. Cheers.
I was watching a video recently of the owner of a well known headphone company discussing the FR for his newest closed back offering. He went into great detail explaining that to make the close back sound great he purposely tuned it with that dip in the 200-400hz region. He said he wouldn't tune an open back in a similiar manner. I can't go into more detail as I am by no means an expert. Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has additional thoughts.

Leo

May 8, 2024 at 9:51 PM Post #78 of 300
I was watching a video recently of the owner of a well known headphone company discussing the FR for his newest closed back offering. He went into great detail explaining that to make the close back sound great he purposely tuned it with that dip in the 200-400hz region. He said he wouldn't tune an open back in a similiar manner. I can't go into more detail as I am by no means an expert. Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone has additional thoughts.

Leo
Any link to the video? I'm curious :)

May 8, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #79 of 300
Interested in hearing listening impressions for this one. I had the 598cs closed backs and those were way too "mid" for me so I ended up selling them. I recently picked up and am enjoying the HD 400 Pro's. The clamp force is the only things that takes some getting used to but the rest, to my ears, sounds awesome! :)

May 8, 2024 at 10:46 PM Post #80 of 300
I don't really get the whole veiled thing at all. People really think these sound veiled?

Yeah, well I know they do when listened to right after a pair of ahem, 'non-veiled' brighter headphones... but is that an accurate representation?? And the ears/brain ALWAYS will adjust after a small period of time, which is why reviewing is such a pain in the ass.

I think you also have to keep the small soundstage/"three blob effect" in mind.

Veiled isn't really the word that comes to mind for me regarding the 600 line, but there are a couple different factors that I think contribute to that perception.

May 9, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #81 of 300
Good to know that it will be available with a balanced cable. I was very disappointed to see Focal's new "mid-fi" releases are not able to be run balanced.

The design puts it more in league with the 500 line rather than a true closed-back version of the 600 line, but I'm intrigued by it nonetheless. We need more closed back options in general. I love my HD 660S, but I can really only use it in a silent room and I just don't always have that option.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #82 of 300
Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #83 of 300
May 9, 2024 at 9:32 AM Post #85 of 300
I have a HD569 on a shelf in the closet. Haven't used it in years. Dull and piercing at the same time. Intensely underwhelming.
Cheaper sennheiser closed-backs sound way better than the 569. The HD471, for example, is a lovely headphone.
As long as this isn't another HD569. Sorta interesting.

May 9, 2024 at 10:39 AM Post #86 of 300
DIY-Audio-Heaven has a breakdown of the headphone up, just came across this page on his site.

May 9, 2024 at 11:07 AM Post #87 of 300
DIY-Audio-Heaven has a breakdown of the headphone up, just came across this page on his site.
Thanks for posting this link. I like that they call out a lot of things you might not get from some reviewers but would impact different types of customers. Particularly it seems to be a fairly efficient and sensitive headphone for 150 ohms, which is great to see.

May 9, 2024 at 11:11 AM Post #88 of 300
@Jermo K / @ericpalonen

Can you do another overlay graph but this one with the HD620 and HD660S2? Since it's release it's been getting the bulk of my listening time vs the older 600/650, so i'd be most curious how the new 620 compares. And I do wish you guys had used the 660S2's driver. It's stellar, and it's 300ohm impedance pairs much more favorably with my tube gear, which i've optimized for 300ohm drivers. I know, that's a me problem, but hey, the world revolves around me! :)

One initial impression of the aesthetics... boring! Sorry guys, it looks very generic. Even changing the font color and Sennheiser logos to copper vs silver would have added some pop. But this.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz puts me to sleep. I get sound quality trumps looks, but even just a bit of color in the logo would have added so much. I'll still buy/try it, as I love the 6 series headphones in general. I just wish it had even a little pop like the 660S2 has.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #89 of 300
I actually agree that copper accents would’ve been a lovely addition to the design here.

Here’s the graph you asked for @erics75

IMG-7412.png

May 9, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #90 of 300
First video I've seen:

Hopefully these will be coming to Amazon. Have some credit I wouldn't mind using to try them.

We appreciate the excitement however this review broke our embargo, as we put in almost one month of review time, knowing that the audience here needs more than an unboxing and quick impressions video. They did not obtain the unit from us. Behind the scenes we are working with some familiar faces who are giving this the thorough attention it deserve, and new personalities as well, and will have a product tour for the community soon.
I have a HD569 on a shelf in the closet. Haven't used it in years. Dull and piercing at the same time. Intensely underwhelming.
Cheaper sennheiser closed-backs sound way better than the 569. The HD471, for example, is a lovely headphone.
As long as this isn't another HD569. Sorta interesting.
Night and day difference
@Jermo K / @ericpalonen

Can you do another overlay graph but this one with the HD620 and HD660S2? Since it's release it's been getting the bulk of my listening time vs the older 600/650, so i'd be most curious how the new 620 compares. And I do wish you guys had used the 660S2's driver. It's stellar, and it's 300ohm impedance pairs much more favorably with my tube gear, which i've optimized for 300ohm drivers. I know, that's a me problem, but hey, the world revolves around me! :)

One initial impression of the aesthetics... boring! Sorry guys, it looks very generic. Even changing the font color and Sennheiser logos to copper vs silver would have added some pop. But this.... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz puts me to sleep. I get sound quality trumps looks, but even just a bit of color in the logo would have added so much. I'll still buy/try it, as I love the 6 series headphones in general. I just wish it had even a little pop like the 660S2 has.
A lot to unpack here :)

It's not as easy as dropping one driver into a new chassis, although from 30,000 ft up it looks that way. The entire front and back volume have to be treated, and the driver materials themselves (the diaphragm, the voice coil, surround, etc) all play a part in the acoustic presentation. All that said, the driver surround is in fact from the 660S2, and the DNA is very similar to it.

Not much to comment about your design critiques...you like what you like! 🤷 In person this beast has much more wow factor while remaining stealthy and understated, and we think that will be less of a distraction at the office, while on camera, at the coffee shop, etc

The graph versus the 600 is accurate but was certainly intended to drive a few key points home. Some folks are doing measurements right now and will have graphs to compare to everything else soon. Thanks for the reply!

Last edited:
Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back