Violectric DHA V590 DAC/AMP - Blue Velvet
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #17 of 738
Clever move if Fried is going to group RS series under Violectric. Always thought their RS range is excellent value-for-money but potential somewhat limited under existing LP brand. Looks like Violectric range will expand for sure and that is a good thing.

A few devices of the RS line sold very well, Fried said. RS08, RS06 for instance. Now these can reappear with more brand recognition, of course in smaller but new cases.

I'm more interested in the eventual replacement for the V281 (preamp functionality without a DAC) in this case configuration. The shoebox style doesn't appeal to me as much.

Sooner or later it will appear. First June for the V590.

Apr 24, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 738
I started a new thread without realizing this one already existed. So I'm letting that one die and moving my content here, so as not to require hassling a mod to merge them. So here we go - some of my info is already less helpful that what is found in the OP, but that's okay.

Just wanted to get a thread up about the latest from Violectric: the new V590. The front panel tells us it is a "32 bit DAC + 32 bit Resampler + Pre-amp + Balanced Headphone Amp". That's a mouthful but you get the idea.

Violectric_V590_01.jpg

The concept is to take the V281, tweak it for improved performance, add a true high-end DAC. Contrast that with the V281 add-on DAC which was good for the low price but not really commensurate with the performance of a top-shelf amp like V281. What we end up with is chassis both wider and shorter, with the familiar Violectric signature design very much intact. Think V281 plus the V850 DAC and you're on the right track in terms of features and controls.

Violectric_V590_02.jpg

I'm told this is not a reworked V850 but rather a fresh new design, though I'm sure certain design elements probably carry over. The original Violectric V800 DAC used a single TI PCM1792 chip with a Tenor USB receiver. The V850 switched it up to dual PCM1795 DACs paired with XMOS USB. Neither were DSD capable, but the new model can do at least DSD128 (that's as high as I have tried). There's still the option for resampling or running native sample rate, and that can even be done from the included remote control - which of course also does volume, input selection, and the other usual stuff.

The DAC section of the V590 is AKM-based but I don't have further specifics at the moment so I can't say which model. I can confirm it uses an Amanero USB chip - when I first got it set up, Roon thought it was a Nagra HD DAC (not bad company to be in). I also need to find out more about what exactly was done to improve upon the amplification section (assuming they are willing to spill those details). Pricing is not finalized but the initial number put it comfortably below $4k, which is nice considering the V281 with remote control option plus a V850 is around $4150. If the V590 sounds better, for less money, that's a big win.

Violectric_V590_03.jpg

This thread will be updated as I get further info.

Violectric_V590_04.jpg

I just got the V590 in the other day so I haven't had a ton of listening time, but so far I love what I hear. It's got a big, bold presentation, very articulate yet also fluid and non-fatiguing. It effortlessly drove all the headphones I tried, including Empyrean, Kennerton Thekk, Sony MDR-Z1R, and Audeze LCD-24. Obviously need to do a ton more listening and will take some real pics when I get a chance, but so far color me impressed.

Apr 24, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #21 of 738
As far as I can tell, he's saying the output stages look pretty similar. Not sure if he means that in a disparaging way or what though.

They are both discrete headphone amp designs, made by the same designer, and ultimately the inspiration for the circuit can be traced back to the Nakamichi designs from the 1970's... so I really would not expect drastic, visually obvious distinctions between them. The devices need to be taken as a whole, and ultimately heard, in order to judge. But even so, no amp is a perfect match for every listener, which is why it's great that there are so many quality options on the market at present.

Apr 25, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #22 of 738
I promised some people I'd update with "real" pics of the V590. The best I had time to do was some phone pics... better than nothing though. Keep in mind this is the prototype so the anodizing is not complete, and thus it is really prone to fingerprints etc. Also keep in mind my audio rack is a mess right now!
0425201834.jpg

0425201834b.jpg

0425201834c.jpg

0425201834d.jpg

Rear Panel:
0425201835.jpg

Currently running straight from a Euphony PTS music server with Keces P8 power supply. Niimbus US4+, Matrix SPDIF 2 (hiding in the other pics), and Titans Audio Lab Helen not currently in the chain, although they definitely will be at some point soon.

0425201835a.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #23 of 738
I promised some people I'd update with "real" pics of the V590. The best I had time to do was some phone pics... better than nothing though. Keep in mind this is the prototype so the anodizing is not complete, and thus it is really prone to fingerprints etc. Also keep in mind my audio rack is a mess right now!
0425201834.jpg

0425201834b.jpg

0425201834c.jpg

0425201834d.jpg

Rear Panel:
0425201835.jpg

Currently running straight from a Euphony PTS music server with Keces P8 power supply. Niimbus US4+, Matrix SPDIF 2 (hiding in the other pics), and Titans Audio Lab Helen not currently in the chain, although they definitely will be at some point soon.

0425201835a.jpg

So now @project86 and/or anyone who is capable of offering an opinion about the 590's sonic performance :

Here's the million dollar question : how does it sound, as compared to say, the V281 or th US4+, or is it too soon to ask?

And, how does it sound, with and without the DAC part?

What I would really like to know is how the DAC-less version compares to the V281, on the one hand, and to the Niimbus US4+, on the other. Thanks.

Apr 26, 2020 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 738
I've been telling people this via PM but might as well put it here for everyone. So far my (very initial) impression is that V590 is sort of half way between V281 and Niimbus in terms of amplification. It seems to impart less of its own signature to each headphone - not that V281 is extremely colored by any means, but there is a bit of signature that you notice after living with it for a while. And it's a very pleasing signature.

Niimbus is probably the most transparent amp I've experienced. It just feels like I'm hearing the headphone, along with the DAC, and up the chain to the transport etc. Those are what gives the sonic flavor of any system I assemble with Niimbus on amp duty. V281 is exceptional but doesn't have that same transparency. Well, V590 has a good dose of it, though not quite going as far as Niimbus.

Now, I have to say that I know someone with very good ears and taste in gear, who prefers the subtle flavoring of the V281 over Niimbus. I totally respect his opinion on that. So V590 may not necessarily be his ideal amp either. Or perhaps it would - maybe it's a good compromise between the two models, without going "too far" as it were.

Again, this is all very preliminary, shoot-from-the-hip stuff. Tomorrow I could spend an hour with V590 and realize I've been totally wrong about it thus far. But we'll see.

As for the DAC part, I intend to use isolate that and feed the US4+ with it to see what happens. Also maybe to my Pass HPA-1 and some other amps I have in at the moment. It's fantastic in the V590 as a two-in-one but I want to know if that synergy translates to other amps as well.

Apr 26, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #25 of 738
yes, the US4+ easily lets me notice Unison vs. "Lynx AES over a Neutrik impedance adapter to SPDIF". I always use the latter with it and know when it's not enabled. And I'm using a dedicated USB card with a dedicated controller for each port.
Same thing happens when using the digital out of the DX160 to the DAC vs Unison USB to an ALLO USBridge Sig. Sold the latter.
US4+ means upping the DAC game and to be even more careful with gear matching.

I also cannot emphasize how great the Earth/Grounding concept is. It's infuriating to have a slight hum come off many amplifiers I tried because of all the wiring in complex systems. With one jumper setting there's no hum anymore out of my KRK's. If you have more devices with that concept you can set the point of change at each device (or not) and not touch the rest. It's just great.

Can't get the hum out of the Crimson if the Lynx is connected to the BF2. I have to connect it in line with the source. Got so many devices for my various setups that simply cannot be connected to one single line, thus I use various sockets along the wall.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #27 of 738
hm, what do you not like about it?

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #28 of 738
Imo it looks too Spartan. Not a lot finesse, maybe because of the amount of leds?
I don’t know, maybe I’ll like it after seeing it in real or after a few werks, just like the 280 and the 850. It took some time but eventually I bought the 280.
Give me some time. :wink:

Apr 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #29 of 738
It's fine, design/looks is highly subjective.

Since they are coming from the pro audio world they primarily focus on innards. However needing to see it in real life is indeed different. When I saw the US4+ live and in stereo it looked even better.

I'm glad they are not delivering Violectrics in the 19" format however.

Apr 26, 2020 at 3:31 PM Post #30 of 738
Looks are indeed subjective but I don't really see a huge aesthetic shift between V590 and something like a V281 with V850 sitting on top. Obviously it's shorter/wider instead of the "shoebox" V281 but that's about it. Personally I always prefer silver gear so maybe you would like V590 more in silver?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back