Tube Damper, does "premium" type really do the job better than a "general" one?
Aug 27, 2008 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

PrTv

100+ Head-Fier
Now I'm considering getting some tube dampers for my DV332 amp, and the two candidates are from Herbies's Audio Labs and an eBay seller, sandyphoto.

For my DV332 with a pair of Russian 6S19P in power section and EF95 equivalent in pre-amp section, I need to use the following dampers from the above sellers:

Herbies's Audio Labs
2X of Ultrasonic 7 $14.25 each
2X of Ultrasonic 9$14.29 each

eBay seller
1 set of SoniKLEER $24.99 a set (containing 4 dampers)
1 set of standard damper $9.99 a set (containing 8 dampers)

Compared among tube dampers in the market, for me, Herbies' dampers seem to be premium, and cost me a lot more than the eBay alternative, which is also not a cheapest deal on eBay either, but I think highest quality available on eBay. The former costs me around $82.03 shipped, whilst the latter costs me just $42.98 shipped.

My question is, in reality, is there any significant difference between the two?

It's not necessary that you must have had first-hand experience with both dampers to reply to my thread, as I've no experience of this kind of accessory, any comment is welcome.
beerchug.gif

Aug 27, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 20
Do you need the tube dampers in the first place? That is the unanswered question in your post.

If you are having problems with tube microphonics not solved by attempting to better isolate your amp from vibration, you may want to look into tube dampening. I recently read a suggestion from a more experienced "tubie" than I who said a series of three black o-rings, widely available in hardware stores - is as effective as many commercial products on the market.

Aug 27, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 20
I use the Herbies on my DV337 to good effect.

I suspect other dampers would work as well but the Herbs look great and I like that visual retro presentation.
I was willing to pay more for the look.

Aug 28, 2008 at 4:32 PM Post #5 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go to a hardware store and buy o-rings to match the size of tube you have.

Yes, I also use the comercial type like Herbie's Halos. But it is hard to justify the price.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Would you describe the sonic difference between the two?
What I would like to know are:
1. Does tube damper really help? (in your opinion, of course)
2. Sonic difference between the o-rings and Herbie's damper.

Thanks

Aug 29, 2008 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by PrTv /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would you describe the sonic difference between the two?
What I would like to know are:
1. Does tube damper really halp? (in your opinion, of course)
2. Sonic difference between the o-rings and Herbie's damper.

Thanks

Unless the tube is really microphonic you wil not be able to hear any difference. Even if microphonic the damper may have no effect.

For the money go to the hardware store. Of course others may/will disagree.
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 20
Did not notice any overt microphonics in my Modwwright SWL 9.0 Signature tubed linestage, but purchased the appropriate Herbie's "Ultrasonic" dampers and installed on the 1957 Philips Miniwatt GZ34/5AR4 and two Bendix 6900s and these helped remove some "haze" - which became "noticeable" by its absence...

Herbie's AudioLab has many products for isolation/vibration control for many aspects of audio systems. Steve Herbelin of Herbie's has always been knowledgeable and helpful in answering questions...

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #9 of 20
Try and find silicon o-rings if you're going to go that route. Rubber or synthetic rubber rings won't be around long soaking up that heat from the tubes.

Sep 3, 2008 at 10:55 PM Post #10 of 20
O-rings do dry up and become somewhat brittle over time.

Plus, if the tubes are kinda expensive, I would rather not have something sticking to them that is rubber based.

I use the ones linked below, but they are absolutely overkill but worked beautifully in my setup (solved the little microphonic problem I was having with a very sweet tube that I love).
Absorb-GEL Vacuum Tube Dampers

I would go with the Herbies as they are heat retardant and do an excellent job with any tube vibrations that might hurt system performance. They have decent resale value if you don't find them to your liking. Good luck.

Sep 3, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #11 of 20
Forgive me if I'm pulling this off topic, but what exactly are tube microphonics? What sonic effects do they cause (and no meaningless words like "tight" here, please
tongue.gif
)? How would you know a tube is vibrating in some subtle way without already having some dampers to test for differences?

Does this apply to all tubes? Is it independant of the kind of mount they're in? I mean, I can flick the tubes in my Darkvoice while it's running and there's absolutely no effect in the sound.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #12 of 20
A microphonic tube usually has something loose inside. Tap on a microphonic tube and you'll hear the tapping in your headphones or speakers. I've had a really, really microphonic tube in my main system. At high enough volumes I'd get feedback between the speakers and the tube. Pretty disgusting sound!

Quote:

Originally Posted by monolith /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Forgive me if I'm pulling this off topic, but what exactly are tube microphonics? What sonic effects do they cause (and no meaningless words like "tight" here, please
tongue.gif
)? How would you know a tube is vibrating in some subtle way without already having some dampers to test for differences?

Does this apply to all tubes? Is it independant of the kind of mount they're in? I mean, I can flick the tubes in my Darkvoice while it's running and there's absolutely no effect in the sound.

Sep 4, 2008 at 3:34 AM Post #13 of 20
^^ that sounds like a broken tube that needs to be replaced. if a tube is microphonic, you will hear some slight crackling, noise, or other unwanted feedback. tube dampers can minimize/eliminate this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back