Look! MOONDROP's First HiFi Smartphone, MIAD01
May 9, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #181 of 207
Hopefully we get a clarification from Davy on what that means...
When you're playing music with UAPP, what does it display for sample rate etc?

If you toggle this setting then it displays the same sample rate as the file.

1000050161.jpg

However, Davy's further comments are as follows:

"Please note that the Moondrop probably won't play in HiRes mode. If it
plays when enabling the HiRes mode, it does not automatically mean it
actually uses a HiRes mode. If no HiRes mode is present in the config
file (like with the Moondrop), it is more likely that the system just
chooses the Mixer path anyway and resamples everything."

May 13, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #183 of 207
I conducted a series of tests on MIAD01 using Apx555, 3.5mm & 4.4mm.
Miad01 has No android SRC bypass.

Really? They literally state it does in the marketing material - that’s very misleading if true (I haven’t watched your YT video yet).

IMG_3060.jpeg

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 4:36 AM Post #184 of 207
Really? They literally state it does in the marketing material - that’s very misleading if true (I haven’t watched your YT video yet).

IMG_3060.jpeg
You can judge for yourself through the video. That's the conclusion I've reached.
And, Audiophiles with equipments are also welcome to conduct the same test to see if they come to the same conclusion.:dt880smile:

May 13, 2024 at 5:01 AM Post #185 of 207
Removed

May 13, 2024 at 5:03 AM Post #186 of 207
You can judge for yourself through the video. That's the conclusion I've reached.
And, Audiophiles with equipments are also welcome to conduct the same test to see if they come to the same conclusion.:dt880smile:
I don’t doubt what you’re saying and I’ll watch the video - I’m just shocked, as it’s very naughty and misleading imo when they’re claiming it does bypass it.

May 13, 2024 at 5:08 AM Post #187 of 207
If you toggle this setting then it displays the same sample rate as the file.

However, Davy's further comments are as follows:

"Please note that the Moondrop probably won't play in HiRes mode. If it
plays when enabling the HiRes mode, it does not automatically mean it
actually uses a HiRes mode. If no HiRes mode is present in the config
file (like with the Moondrop), it is more likely that the system just
chooses the Mixer path anyway and resamples everything."

It's a no from me in that case. If I were to get this phone it would have been my 1st move to install UAPP, but if it is not using HiRes Mode whats the point, I might as well use my old Pixel 4a (5G) with a dongle dap, The HiDIZS S3 Pro works fine for me or get a dongle DAC with 4.4mm headphone jack as an option.

Thanks for the video. I wouldn't be surprised if they had an update to change things (if that's possible) but the trust has been lost with the revelations from your tests and confirmation from Davy of UAPP

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:50 AM Post #188 of 207

And this explains the strange silence on this thread... in practice the phone does not eliminate android's audio resampling (as communicated by the company and by some reckless reviewers), it is not compatible with UAPP (it does not detect the internal DAC) and It has a poor implementation on the 3.5mm jack. I think I'll hold on to my LG V50s for a long, long time to come...

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:06 AM Post #189 of 207
And this explains the strange silence on this thread... in practice the phone does not eliminate android's audio resampling (as communicated by the company and by some reckless reviewers), it is not compatible with UAPP (it does not detect the internal DAC) and It has a poor implementation on the 3.5mm jack. I think I'll hold on to my LG V50s for a long, long time to come...
Let's wait for an explanation though it's also possible that what we'll end up waiting for is my comment being deleted.:thinking:

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #190 of 207
Let's wait for an explanation—though it's also possible that what we'll end up waiting for is my comment being deleted.:thinking:
I see no reason to delete your post, it is not offensive and contains a simple test that anyone can do on their own with the necessary tools and a little skill and patience. The fact that this thread doesn't have 100 pages yet, but only 13 says a lot about the situation. If the phone had achieved the results that the engineers had set themselves with its design, we would read dozens and dozens of enthusiastic comments from users who have already purchased it, but this is not the case. Having said that, some may like it, but honestly it wasn't what I and others expected, especially regarding its audio capabilities. Thanks for your post which clears up some of the fog on the real situation today... if there are firmware updates that solve the problems (very difficult) it will only make us happy and push us to buy it.

May 13, 2024 at 8:42 PM Post #193 of 207
Just re-read this comment from Hiby about the M300 src (Android 13):
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...discussion-thread.970428/page-2#post-17816663

They mention a bug limiting the bandwidth to 24kHz unless touch panel feedback sounds are disabled. Could the MIAD01 experience the same issue?

@Audiosentinel any input?

Could be - let's see how Moondrop responds.

There should be a status bar or similar at the top of the screen showing the bit depth and sampling rate to ensure we are achieving bit perfect hi-res playback. All decent DAPs have this feature.

Also, I think the level of noise on the 3.5mm output is unacceptable for a device marketed towards hifi customers.

However, the balanced output is very good. @Audiosentinel made an excellent video (see above).

In other testing news:

I tried Niagara Launcher instead of the stock launcher and it works ok but the gesture and navigation buttons don't function.

Google Maps still doesn't work after activating google services and using the new firmware.

My impression after a week of using the device is that it is a below average 3.5mm audio player, fair to middling 4.4mm audio player and quite frustrating to use as a phone.

May 13, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #194 of 207
Could be - let's see how Moondrop responds.

There should be a status bar or similar at the top of the screen showing the bit depth and sampling rate to ensure we are achieving bit perfect hi-res playback. All decent DAPs have this feature.

Also, I think the level of noise on the 3.5mm output is unacceptable for a device marketed towards hifi customers.

However, the balanced output is very good. @Audiosentinel made an excellent video (see above).

In other testing news:

I tried Niagara Launcher instead of the stock launcher and it works ok but the gesture and navigation buttons don't function.

Google Maps still doesn't work after activating google services and using the new firmware.

My impression after a week of using the device is that it is a below average 3.5mm audio player, fair to middling 4.4mm audio player and quite frustrating to use as a phone.
darn, I had high hopes…😳

Users who are viewing this thread

Back