iPod Touch 2G vs iPhone 3GS: My impressions
Apr 18, 2011 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

MichRT

100+ Head-Fier
I couldn't find one like it, so here is my review. First actually, hope you like it!

Gear used:

iPod Touch 2G 8gb
iPhone 3GS 32gb
Griffin shielded aux cable
Zigis Labs headphone amp (cmoy)
Sony MDR-XB500
Altech Lansing BX1221 2.1 speaker system

Call me a loser, a fanboy, naive or confused, but I have always loved the "iPod sound", especially when I received my iTouch. Previously, I used my Sansa Fuze for music, but my iPod venture changed everything. So airy and open, I just love it. Then i received my 3GS, a substantial improvement in every way. Now, I know It's better to compare headphones/equipment with "older" songs, but I was short of such. I did however spread out my genres a bit. Here is my comparison

First song: Amos Lee - Violin

iPod Touch:

XB500- The highs and vocals are very pronounced. The violins seem pretty clear, and bass has an excellent kick. Soundstage is nothing to marvel at, rather close to your head. Mids are mostly drowned out.

Altech- The highs are very crisp, very open. A little too simbilant, vocals sound slightly harsh. Bass impact is great, a little too controlled IMO, no real extension. Can't discern any midrange.

3GS:

XB500- MUCH better. Mids are very much present. Vocals sound much sweeter, not nearly so simbilant. Bass impact isn't as much, but extension is greatly enhanced. The soundstage  is also improved: much more open and airy, comfier on the ear. Over-all, a fuller sound.

Altech- I don't know what happened. Maybe Apple got their magic right, but the iTouch and 3GS are night and day on this speaker system! Mid-to-bass range is VASTLY improved. The vocals seem to float above your head, they don't shriek like the radio-clock you gave your Grany for Christmas in '89 (obviously over-exagerating a bit, but), my sub actually had to work a little.

Second song: Owl City - Dear Vienna

iPod Touch:

XB500- Vocals and the high digital vibes are produced very clearly, very crisp. Once again bass impact is excellent, extension could use some extending. Very airy and open, the soundstage is larger than that of Violin. Midrange is locked in a closet somewhere in Africa.

Altech- A little.... ouchy. Highs are VERY pronounced and simbilant, on the harsh side. Bass impact is great, absolutly ZERO midrange. Kinda sad really...

3GS:

XB500- Done it again. Vocals are exponentially sweeter, and highs remain crystal. Bass remains punchy and soundstage is airy as ever.

Altech- Wow. It's a totally different piece of music. Sound is full and sweet, highs reach some golden note, mids fully extend, and the lows resonate well. his unique voice synergizes well with this set-up IMO.

I know, it was short, but in time I do plan on expanding and adding tracks (maybe even this week...)

In a nutshell, I believe the iPhone 3GS excels in every way over the iPod Touch 2G. The highs are sweeter, the mids more pronounced, and the lows fully extended. if this can be attributed to the newer CirusLogics audio chip in the device, I don't know. But I love it to death 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back