Audeze CRBN Interview, Review, Measurements
Mar 2, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #1,186 of 1,910
Is the fart noise identical powered on and off? Perhaps you can share a video like I did if the noise is the same or different. If this really is driver failure, given the number of people who have never owned a E-Stat before, there may be some confusion as to if it is normal. This wouldn't be the first time there was a QC issue with a new headphone. It's important as a community that we figure out if this is, normal, a 1 off issue, or batch problem.

I've owned nearly every major stax headphone they've ever made outside of the SR9K. I'm familiar with the fart noise, but I've never seen it exacerbated by the energizer being powered on. The seal on the CRBN is much tighter than the Stax, so I initially assumed this is the culprit.
When the headphone is not plugged to the amp no fart is occured. After each hearsession I remove electric charge with my finger on the 5 pin plug. Maybe the problems comes loaded capacity. Sorry I hate make videos. :) hope you understand.
All speculation only Audeze know what it is and how to help you. Maybe @KMann can help?

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:34 AM Post #1,187 of 1,910
Is the fart noise identical powered on and off? Perhaps you can share a video like I did if the noise is the same or different. If this really is driver failure, given the number of people who have never owned a E-Stat before, there may be some confusion as to if it is normal. This wouldn't be the first time there was a QC issue with a new headphone. It's important as a community that we figure out if this is, normal, a 1 off issue, or batch problem.

I've many stax headphone they've ever made outside of the SR9K. I'm familiar with the fart noise, but I've never seen it this sensitive/loud before. The seal on the CRBN is much tighter than the Stax, so I initially assumed this is the culprit.
My CRBN has exactly the same issue as yours. I thought it's normal (although quite annoying) until I visited another dealer and tried their CRBN on 3ES. The demo CRBN has less clamp force than mime and is much less sensitive to head movement or leak and rarely caused fart. (similar to my experience with 009S)

I'm trying to contact Audeze through my dealer to see if there's a headband with less clamp force. I don't think we can bend the carbon headband to make it loose.

Mar 2, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #1,188 of 1,910
My CRBN has exactly the same issue as yours. I thought it's normal (although quite annoying) until I visited another dealer and tried their CRBN on 3ES. The demo CRBN has less clamp force than mime and is much less sensitive to head movement or leak and rarely caused fart. (similar to my experience with 009S)

I'm trying to contact Audeze through my dealer to see if there's a headband with less clamp force. I don't think we can bend the carbon headband to make it loose.
Mine headband has a lot clampforce an I don't have the problems. I don't think there is another headband that's only the case with LCD-5. Sorry to hear that there a the problems with the farts should not the case for a 4,5K headphone. But Audezes customer support is the best I know in headphone market!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 5:12 AM Post #1,189 of 1,910

This might be the case with on-head but doesn't explain the noise off head (like in my video).
My guess is that the sensitivity has something to do with improving the bass response.

I don't love doing it, this way, but putting it on the head first - then plugging in (or reverse on exit) - is helpful. Still, I have to be careful moving my jaw during listening. Headbanging is okay so far.
Very ironic given these are some of the most comfortable headphones I've owned.

Really enjoying them otherwise.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 5:49 AM Post #1,190 of 1,910
CRBN has nearly same dimensions of the earcup like my Orpheus clone.
Both have amazing timbre. :L3000:
IMG_20220302_114658.jpg

Mar 2, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #1,193 of 1,910
It finally arrived.
20220302_124716.jpg

First test run, absolutely no crackling or "farting" noises whatsoever. Guess I am lucky in that regard

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #1,194 of 1,910

This kind of inconsistency in production and quality control is what has kept me away from Audeze. Since the LCD-2 they have had issues. I almost caved in with the LCD-3 until I experienced the inconsistency in sound (mainly caused by inconsistent ear pads).

I almost caved in again with the CRBN but I am glad I waited and instead ordered the X9000.

It is a good looking headphone but I hope is not a major issue for the sake of all the customers.

Last edited:
Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Mar 2, 2022 at 10:30 AM Post #1,196 of 1,910
My CRBN only makes the sound if I press the cups together. I can toe tap and bop my head to the music all I want. I can also make adjustments to the fit while music is playing with no e-fart sound. And Audeze did say this was due to the diaphragm being farther away from stators. Which is needed to increase bass.
My Vocé, which uses the same technique to increase bass output, is slightly worse than the CRBN for making the noise. I really only see it as a minor issue that has no influence on my feelings about the CRBN. I have never experienced anything like in the video.

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #1,197 of 1,910
I think there could be discrepancies how people use the headphone too...mine is plugged it all the time. Maybe that makes a difference, and by unplugging it you release some charge. Who knows...anyway, it's the best headphone I've ever heard :)

Mar 2, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #1,198 of 1,910
To avoid noises:
  • It is best to Put the CRBN on your head, adjust it as you like and then plug it into the amp to avoid noises.
  • After listening sessions, it is best to unplug from the amp. CRBN tends to hold charge more than typical estats (thanks to the nano tubes), so if it makes noises, discharge before plugging them back.
  • Avoid pressing on the ear cups or lifting the ear cups off the ear/braking seal while plugged in.
That said, once on the head, other than perhaps occasional noise, it is not normal for CRBN to stick or make loud noises with normal head movements. So, if you are in doubt, please contact support.

Edit: I always have this on my listening station to discharge: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J66FSY2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=11646235831454.png

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2022 at 11:26 AM Post #1,200 of 1,910
First impressions.

They are very comfortable. The clamping force is stronger than on my Meze and T+A headphones. Great fit on my small head.

I only heard some crackling when tacking them off, really happy about this. Movement is completely unhindered and I can use them as versatile as the rest.

They are quite power hungry, at least in my setup. Which makes A/B Tests a pain.
On my Octave I set the volume usually once like a gain setting and the fine tuning is done via the T+A preamp.
Usually I have my Mezes at 10 o'clock, the Solitaire P at 11 and for the CRBN I need 2 o'clock for roughly the same volume.
(Using the Mjölnir SRD-7)

Way too early for sound impressions beyond the obvious.
They are the brightest of my headphones.
The Bass is weaker than on the rest (but not lacking), this was expected since they are flat neutral while all others have at least a slight increase.
Very smooth and non fatiguing, I can see why this might be endgame for some. Sounds very natural.

In the coming days I will also test the SRD-7 directly from the T+A and maybe other tubes in the Octave. For now I will just enjoy the music without critically listening

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back