Cayin N30LE DAP: A Transformative Milestone (30th Anniv. Limited Edition)
May 19, 2024 at 5:53 PM Post #2,956 of 2,967
I think the same, and once you've got used to a certain level, it's difficult to go back.

I play on the monitor at my desk. So there's no possibility of having other connections.

It looks like I have few options: dongle, desktop DAC/AMP or DAC+AMP + HDMI extractor via digital output.
- Dongles cost relatively little and it might be worth it.
- DAC/AMPs cost too much for relatively poor sound performance.
- DAC+AMP are even more expensive and I would definitely have to test them first. Would it be worth it for gaming? For me, of course not as I don't think I can use them with IEMs; they are probably too powerful. So not a good option.

@Andykong / Cayin What on earth have you done to me with the N30?! 🤦🏻‍♂️
I wouldn’t try to connect the headphone to the PS5 or the controller.
I connect my Shanling H7 or the Mojo 2 via Toslink directly to my beamer/tv. So you don’t have to use a splitter, that can worsen the sound quality. On top I experience zero latency.
You can connect the Shanling directly to the PS5 with an USB-C Cable (UAC1 compatible) but I prefer the sound quality of my Audioquest Optical cable.
I think there is no other satisfying solution.

Last edited:
May 19, 2024 at 6:09 PM Post #2,957 of 2,967
I think the same, and once you've got used to a certain level, it's difficult to go back.

I play on the monitor at my desk. So there's no possibility of having other connections.

It looks like I have few options: dongle, desktop DAC/AMP or DAC+AMP + HDMI extractor via digital output.
- DAC+AMP are even more expensive and I would definitely have to test them first. Would it be worth it for gaming? For me, of course not as I don't think I can use them with IEMs; they are probably too powerful. So not a good option.

Just get an IFI DAC/AMP for the PS5. I use the new Zen DAC 3 but all of their products are UAC1 compatible and the switch is automatic.
If you want to use a DAP for gaming (meaning no latency), you would need one with an XMOS chip.

May 20, 2024 at 12:20 AM Post #2,958 of 2,967
I wouldn’t try to connect the headphone to the PS5 or the controller.
I connect my Shanling H7 or the Mojo 2 via Toslink directly to my beamer/tv. So you don’t have to use a splitter, that can worsen the sound quality. On top I experience zero latency.
You can connect the Shanling directly to the PS5 with an USB-C Cable (UAC1 compatible) but I prefer the sound quality of my Audioquest Optical cable.
I think there is no other satisfying solution.
Just get an IFI DAC/AMP for the PS5. I use the new Zen DAC 3 but all of their products are UAC1 compatible and the switch is automatic.
If you want to use a DAP for gaming (meaning no latency), you would need one with an XMOS chip.
My problem is not how to connect the HP, but the audio quality. I already have the Shanling UA2+ (UAC 1.0) and otherwise the 4.4mm -> 3.5mm adapter, but the audio quality is only "ok". It's a shame to use the HD800S for this. Maybe I'll just end up selling the HD800S, which I've barely touched since I got it... you know: all or nothing 😌

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:56 AM Post #2,959 of 2,967
Fiio K19. HDMI ARC and 8w. Job done. 👌

Edit: Playing catchup with posts, see you've already been down that route. Not sure why you're chasing N30 timbre for gaming? If wanting that level of SQ then desktop setup if probably the only realistic way to achieve that step up in SQ, and it won't be cheap. Could also use K19 to feed a small tube amp but that's £1k plus whatever additional amp costs.

Alternative, Quloos MUB1 has UAC1. 0 compatibility I think, I have zero delay using it on USB to watch stuff on my tablet. It's pretty powerful for a little pocket rocket, might also be worth checking out. You still won't achieve N30 sound with it though.

Have you thought about trying older receivers? Big real estate but you can usually get fairly high end older units dirt cheap these days as the technology moved / moves so fast. Maybe shoehorn one in under the desk?

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:02 AM Post #2,960 of 2,967
@Andykong

Perhaps you have a solution to my problem.

I love the N30 so much that I don't want to do without it for gaming with the Playstation 5. Is there any satisfactory solution to connect the N30 to the Playstation 5? Unfortunately, the N30 is not UAC 1.0 compatible. Are there any alternatives if you think about the connections of the N30? I'm afraid not, but maybe I'm missing something.
If you want to use the N30LE DAC you will need a digital input signal.
Afaik N30LE only supports USB as hardwired digital input though it can use different other options like SPDIF over Coax adapter or I2S over mini HDMI as output.
The adapter you referenced can extract an optical audio signal and put it out over SPDIF.
This approach may work feeding devices like Chord Mojo or Hugo but for N30LE you will need an USB signal.
If footprint and money and Latency won't matter you will need a DDC behind your HDMI audio extractor like Holo Audio Red which will convert the SPDIF signal into USB again.
Still it isn't certain if that will work flawlessly 😉

I just back from the Shenzhen Headphone Expo, sorry for the late response.

You'll need an HDMI Audio Extractor that provides USB Audio Class 2.0 and HDMI bypass. This kind of product is technically feasible but I have been looking for something like this in the past two years, no luck so far. There are HDMI Audio Extraction products with S/PDIF output, but so far I can't find any that support USB Audio Class 2.0.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 20, 2024 at 4:14 AM Post #2,961 of 2,967
My problem is not how to connect the HP, but the audio quality. I already have the Shanling UA2+ (UAC 1.0) and otherwise the 4.4mm -> 3.5mm adapter, but the audio quality is only "ok". It's a shame to use the HD800S for this. Maybe I'll just end up selling the HD800S, which I've barely touched since I got it... you know: all or nothing 😌
The UAC1.0 sound quality is bad compared to the optical on the H7. I would upgrade.
I use it with my Hifiman HEK V3 and the sound quality is mile’s ahead compared to other gaming headphones.

May 20, 2024 at 11:17 AM Post #2,962 of 2,967

If you play at your desk anyway you may change to PC gaming. For 3k you can have a more than decent rig, PS5 level maybe less than half. N30 compatible USB out is guaranteed.

May 20, 2024 at 11:40 AM Post #2,963 of 2,967
Fiio K19. HDMI ARC and 8w. Job done. 👌

Edit: Playing catchup with posts, see you've already been down that route. Not sure why you're chasing N30 timbre for gaming? If wanting that level of SQ then desktop setup if probably the only realistic way to achieve that step up in SQ, and it won't be cheap. Could also use K19 to feed a small tube amp but that's £1k plus whatever additional amp costs.

Alternative, Quloos MUB1 has UAC1. 0 compatibility I think, I have zero delay using it on USB to watch stuff on my tablet. It's pretty powerful for a little pocket rocket, might also be worth checking out. You still won't achieve N30 sound with it though.

Have you thought about trying older receivers? Big real estate but you can usually get fairly high end older units dirt cheap these days as the technology moved / moves so fast. Maybe shoehorn one in under the desk?
The UAC1.0 sound quality is bad compared to the optical on the H7. I would upgrade.
I use it with my Hifiman HEK V3 and the sound quality is mile’s ahead compared to other gaming headphones.
I knew it, thanks for the confirmation! I had wondered all along how it could be that the audio quality was so poor compared to the PC, for example. I didn't give it any further thought, but I did want to test it specifically.

So I would have to test the K19 with the HDMI Audio Extractor, but unfortunately I have to return it in a few days. I have to think about whether I would keep it anyway, even if the audio quality was only ok. Knowing me, no since it's for me personally too pricey for this purpose. I would rather invest in a desktop DAC/AMP that I can also use for IEMs and is quite good in terms of audio quality. As soon as I have time and peace and quiet I'll have a look, and if I don't find anything that's reasonably not too expensive, I'd think again about buying the K19 if I can find it second-hand cheap.

I just back from the Shenzhen Headphone Expo, sorry for the late response.

You'll need an HDMI Audio Extractor that provides USB Audio Class 2.0 and HDMI bypass. This kind of product is technically feasible but I have been looking for something like this in the past two years, no luck so far. There are HDMI Audio Extraction products with S/PDIF output, but so far I can't find any that support USB Audio Class 2.0.
I'll see if I can find something like that. I had a quick look earlier and didn't find anything.

If you play at your desk anyway you may change to PC gaming. For 3k you can have a more than decent rig, PS5 level maybe less than half. N30 compatible USB out is guaranteed.
I already have a more than decent rig for PC gaming. But lately I prefer to play with the PS5 - especially the exclusives.

May 20, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #2,964 of 2,967
I would rather invest in a desktop DAC/AMP that I can also use for IEMs and is quite good in terms of audio quality
You should maybe look for the Ibasso D16. It has optical in.
You can order and test it on hifipassion.de and test it for 2 weeks.
Twister tested those devices compared it to the 320Max and the sound quality is on the same level as the R8 and the N7.

May 20, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #2,965 of 2,967
You should maybe look for the Ibasso D16. It has optical in.
You can order and test it on hifipassion.de and test it for 2 weeks.
Twister tested those devices compared it to the 320Max and the sound quality is on the same level as the R8 and the N7.
Indeed, that's a fantastic idea, thank you!

EDIT: The D16 costs 100€ more than the K19, the question now is which is "better" for audio quality 🤦🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 1:42 PM Post #2,966 of 2,967
Indeed, that's a fantastic idea, thank you!

EDIT: The D16 costs 100€ more than the K19, the question now is which is "better" for audio quality 🤦🏻‍♂️
You can order and demo it and see how it synergies with your IEMs/headphones.

I would go for the Ibasso, especially because you can „upgrade“ with the PB5 on the long run.

Now back to the topic 😅

May 20, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #2,967 of 2,967
I wonder how my N30LE will sound with Brise Audio's FUGAKU ? Could be an End game portable solution... for some months until something even better arrives...

12360151.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back